www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Hen <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Royale Website Preview
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2017 00:44:24 GMT
On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 9:21 PM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 6:51 PM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org>
> wrote:
>
>> (Please note mix of public/private mailing lists)
>>
>> Hen wrote on 10/25/17 3:46 PM:
>> > My thoughts (not specifically legal, more a mix of policies) are:
>> >
>> > 1) Similar to Niclas; your primary website content should be hosted on
>> > apache.org <http://apache.org>. If wordpress.com <http://wordpress.com>
>> > is down, royale.apache.org <http://royale.apache.org> should still run.
>>
>> Do we have a specific infra-related policy that websites need to be
>> hosted on servers/cloud that the ASF runs?
>>

> Nope. Infra doesn't care where people host content. For whatever ends up
> being hosted at $TLP.apache.org, it must be static content. That's all we
> care about. (we provide some tools to help get it there, but that's
> tooling, not policy)

Do we allow that $TLP.apache.org file to be a redirect to another site?

I'd have expected us to have some level of requirement there, but agreed
that that doesn't mean the whole site must be there.

Like... maybe it's that there must be a website at $TLP.apache.org that
provides the basic requirements of an Apache website (branding, description
of project, foundation-level links, link to source downloads, link to
communication mechanisms), but other 'value-add' content (documentation,
binaries, forums, ...) can be hosted elsewhere?

Or does it go the whole hog and you can run your entire site on github.io
or wordpress.com, provided you link to the relevant Apache hosted
requirements (canonical source repository, download signatures).

> Legal Affairs mandates that we have a copy of a project's code (and
> related bits) hosted/archived on ASF servers. Infra operates as Legal's
> right hand in enforcing that. It is kind of "Infra policy" as a result, but
> it originates from Legal to track provenance. Outside of code/provenance,
> Infra has no policies about what "must" be hosted on ASF servers. (there
> could be an argument made that Infra enforces mailing lists are run at the
> ASF, but I see that mostly coming from branding; we'd probably subscribe to
> a third-party-run ML to maintain archives, but that concern never arises
> since branding won't allow it)

(Leaving this in thread as it makes much sense and I didn't want to
disconnect it from the above)

Hen