www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Podling CLA/Grant advice
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2017 21:16:07 GMT
On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 6:21 PM, Chris Mattmann <mattmann@apache.org> wrote:
> Craig, I share the below opinions.
>
> RE: SGA, let me clarify, I think there are a few situations:
>

> 1) SGA for a donation e.g., from a company or gov agency
> a. The person providing or “granting” the SGA may have
> the permission of the institution e.g., a signing authority, that
> represents the IP from the company or agency, fine.
> b. The person may be someone without signing authority but
> designated by the agency as someone who can provide the Grant,
> fine.

Correct.

> 2) SGA for a donation e.g., from a set of contributors
> a. The person providing or “granting” the SGA would ideally point to
> some permanent URL or public URL with the decision by the binding
> set of members of the contributors (at a minimum, within reason e.g.,
> defined as all those active, or as all contributors ever, or all those
> that responded to my email with a deadline of 2 weeks, or a month etc.)

This is what I've seen with most existing projects without an active
corporate sponsor.

> b. If the community already uses some form of IP management besides
> having a version repository and headers, etc., then pointing to those
> on file would be useful and welcomed.

This one exists but is rare in my experience. More likely to be a single
corporate sponsor project which will probably get us squarely back to #1.

So yes -- this is the full list of options that come to mind.

Thanks,
Roman.