www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Replacing CLA with DCO+ALv2
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2017 00:53:23 GMT
On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> What specific purpose would changing our long-held incoming licensing
> scheme fulfill?

There's a constant argument being made that CLA significantly decreases
the likelihood of getting developers to contribute to CLA-upfront projects.
Personally, I don't subscribe to this view, but it is quite prevalent:
    https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2014/jun/09/do-not-need-cla/
    https://blog.docker.com/2014/01/docker-code-contributions-require-developer-certificate-of-origin/
and there are numerous others (including the one that started this thread)
calming the same.

Just this week I had to vigorously defend our position in front of developers
seeking where to put their new OS project and I'm sure these conversations
come up every Open Source Summit, etc.

> Until we have a specific reason, and a thorough legal review, I'd be -1
> from my perspective on changing any of our CLA process.

Given our "community over code" mantra I'd expect that we'd be very vigilant
for everything that may stand in the way of that community growth. If one
subscribes to the views I quoted  that may be a concern.

Thanks,
Roman.