www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Including / forking Apache 2.0 licensed code into an ASF project
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2017 23:49:52 GMT

> On Oct 3, 2017, at 1:08 PM, Emilian Bold <emilian.bold@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The main concern is to provide this feature out of the box. In order to do that we would
need to be able to include the code, build binaries and distribute everything.

Yes.

> The fixes are secondary. Of course, it's nice to submit upstream but the point is you
can't delay everything because a fix is not being merged -- if we already have the code in
the repository it makes sense to apply the fix there, no?

Yes. If the upstream project is slow in accepting your patches, or there is disagreement (!)
about the patches, it's fine to make the change here and release it. Then it's a social issue
getting agreement from the upstream on the patches.

And keeping the local fork as much as possible in sync with the upstream has obvious benefits.

Craig