www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Replacing CLA with DCO+ALv2
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2017 14:23:59 GMT

> On Oct 26, 2017, at 7:08 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>
> We *require* CLAs only for those who have commit privy.

It's up to each PMC whether they *require* CLA to cover contributions. I would expect that
a *large* contribution would *require* a CLA even if the PMC has no intention to make the
contributor a committer.

Craig

>> On Oct 26, 2017, at 5:24 AM, Rob Vesse <rvesse@dotnetrdf.org> wrote:
>>
>> I think that there is in part a confusion about a hard requirement for CLAs. People
have a convenient habit of forgetting clause 5 of the Apache license:

>> http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html#contributions
>>
>> “Unless You explicitly state otherwise, any Contribution intentionally submitted
for inclusion in the Work by You to the Licensor shall be under the terms and conditions of
this License, without any additional terms or conditions. Notwithstanding the above, nothing
herein shall supersede or modify the terms of any separate license agreement you may have
executed with Licensor regarding such Contributions.”

>> So, projects under the Apache license are free to accept contributions without any
CLA in-place.

>> The use of CLAs is mostly a policy decision to provide an extra degree of legal assurance
around the provenance of the contributions. We at Apache require that all committers have
a CLA on file but there is no requirement that other organisations licensing code under the
Apache license follow suit.

>> Maybe a discussion on this topic would make a good foundation blog post?
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> On 26/10/2017 01:53, "Roman Shaposhnik" <shaposhnik@gmail.com on behalf of roman@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

>>   On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
>>> What specific purpose would changing our long-held incoming licensing
>>> scheme fulfill?
>>
>>   There's a constant argument being made that CLA significantly decreases
>>   the likelihood of getting developers to contribute to CLA-upfront projects.
>>   Personally, I don't subscribe to this view, but it is quite prevalent:
>>       https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2014/jun/09/do-not-need-cla/
>>       https://blog.docker.com/2014/01/docker-code-contributions-require-developer-certificate-of-origin/
>>   and there are numerous others (including the one that started this thread)
>>   calming the same.
>>
>>   Just this week I had to vigorously defend our position in front of developers
>>   seeking where to put their new OS project and I'm sure these conversations
>>   come up every Open Source Summit, etc.
>>
>>> Until we have a specific reason, and a thorough legal review, I'd be -1
>>> from my perspective on changing any of our CLA process.
>>
>>   Given our "community over code" mantra I'd expect that we'd be very vigilant
>>   for everything that may stand in the way of that community growth. If one
>>   subscribes to the views I quoted  that may be a concern.
>>
>>   Thanks,
>>   Roman.

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation