www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@codecentric.de>
Subject Re: Protocols and IP?
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2017 13:50:10 GMT
Hi Ted,

thank you for the feedback. So, it seems at least you are thinking of it the same way I am.
I just wanted to check if someone knew a definitive reason for not doing this.

If there would have been a well-known reason NOT to do this, I just wanted to make sure prior
to investing too much time and effort in this.

Right now, I have finished a working initial proof-of-concept of my Siemens S7 adapter and
I used only information that wasn’t marked with any license that would forbid me of using
it.

My main problem was the definition of constants and their meaning. But I think I found a good
solution for this.

I didn’t want to ask Siemens, for example, as I know that they had a habit of suing people
when the first open source projects came up in this area. But as far as I know they lost leverage
as the information was more and more “public knowledge” the more people worked on reverse
engineering the protocols.

Also, I think the OPC-UA guys won’t be very happy with my efforts as it does somehow undermine
one of the OPC foundations business models. So, I wouldn’t expect them to be too forthcoming
;-)

The thing is the PLC Industry is and always has been quite a closed environment. That’s
the main reason for my new project, to open that. I am expecting trouble down the road, but
therefore trying to setup everything and document my sources in order to be able to easily
deflect any trouble that might come along.

Guess it would be best to have this double checked by some paid lawyers. Just didn’t want
to throw my companies money into their throats if there was an obvious reason not to do so.
Seems there is no obvious one, so we’ll have to check the non-obvious ones.

But I’ll report what we find out.

Chris

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen | Best regards

Christofer Dutz | Senior IT Consultant

codecentric AG | Kreuznacher Straße 30 | 60486 Frankfurt am Main | Deutschland

mobil: +49 (1525) 3057806  <tel:+4915253057806>

fax: +49 (69) 75938200 <tel:+496975938200>

www.codecentric.de <http://www.codecentric.de/> | blog.codecentric.de <http://blog.codecentric.de/>
| www.meettheexperts.de <http://www.meettheexperts.de/>

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Solingen | HRB 25917| Amtsgericht Wuppertal

Vorstand: Michael Hochgürtel . Rainer Vehns

Aufsichtsrat: Patric Fedlmeier (Vorsitzender) . Klaus Jäger . Jürgen Schütz

Diese E-Mail einschließlich evtl. beigefügter Dateien enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich
geschützte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich
erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und löschen Sie diese E-Mail und
evtl. beigefügter Dateien umgehend. Das unerlaubte Kopieren, Nutzen oder Öffnen evtl. beigefügter
Dateien sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser E-Mail ist nicht gestattet.