www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Kyle Mitchell <k...@kemitchell.com>
Subject Re: license zero
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2017 23:39:39 GMT
On 2017-10-17 18:10, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 6:24 PM, Kyle Mitchell <kyle@kemitchell.com> wrote:
> > I'd love to engage you and others here in Apache Land on
> > L0. But as I mentioned, I'd be very, very surprised to
> > see L0-licensed software in or out of the Foundation.
> > That should be clear before anyone's too generous with
> > their time.
> >

> When somebody wants to *use* some L0 software within an Apache project,
> then it would get evaluated and categorized. We tend to avoid doing work
> before somebody asks for it. I haven't read in detail, but if there is
> reciprocity then it would likely be Cat X (forbidden).

These are early days, and L0's public licenses are changing
with feedback.  All the same, I'd be very surprised to see
L0 code anywhere but Cat X.

The current draft of the noncommercial license has a
built-in, automatic waiver that reverts the public terms to
BSD-2-Clause.  Apache may someday see a request to use
formerly L0 software transitioned under that mechanism.  But
that's both hypothetical and far off.  I completely agree it
makes no sense for AF to entertain now.

--
Kyle Mitchell, attorney // Oakland // (510) 712 - 0933