www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Modification of The Apache License
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2017 23:29:13 GMT
Hi K,

Please note that this is not a forum for legal advice.

The license itself is distributed under the terms of the license.

Look at the page http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html

At the bottom, "Copyright © 2017 The Apache Software Foundation, Licensed under the Apache
License, Version 2.0."

So, you can adapt the license itself or any of its parts, but as you have noted that you are
very mindful, if you make changes, be sure that it is clear that your license is not confused
with the Apache license. Specifically, your license should change:

Apache License
Version 2.0, January 2004
http://www.apache.org/licenses/

to something else, like:

Kyle Mitchell License
Version 0.9, August 2017
http://kyle.mitchell.com/licenses/KyleLicense.html

Regards,

Craig

> On Aug 30, 2017, at 4:03 PM, Kyle Mitchell <kyle@kemitchell.com> wrote:
>
> Greetings, all.
>
> The License FAQ mentions that others may modify the Foundation's CLAs:
>
> https://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#CLA-Usage
>
> However, I do not see any parallel permission for the text of The Apache
> License itself.
>
> May others freely derive from the Apache 2.0 terms?  I am very
> mindful that the Apache trademark looms large for those who might
> confuse or deceive others by passing off modifications as the
> standardized original.
>
> Best,

> --
> Kyle Mitchell, attorney // Oakland // (510) 712 - 0933

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org