www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Chris Mattmann <mattm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ROCKSDB license and Apache projects
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2017 11:40:05 GMT
Thanks I’ll make sure this is updated on the legal page.

Cheers,

Chris

From: "John D. Ament" <johndament@apache.org>
Date: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 6:17 AM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org" <legal-discuss@apache.org>
Subject: Re: ROCKSDB license and Apache projects

Chris,

In addition, I want to point out that the industry name for this license is "Facebook BSD+Patents
license" and it applies to much more than RocksDB.

John

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 6:09 AM John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:

Chris,

Did you see my note about rocksdbjni?  This is what's actually used in Kafka, and possibly
other projects (I just checked Samza and Flink, both are using it).  That seems to be licensed
differently.  I would recommend getting that squared away to avoid any incorrect statements
going out to PMCs.

Note that RocksDB doesn't ship any JARs, its a C++ library.  rocksdbjni does ship JARs, but
it appears that this is an Apache Licensed product (no mention at all of the patent waiver).

John