www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Limit Apache license to non-commercial use
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2017 00:50:24 GMT
Yifei,

Consider whether you really want to restrict the adoption of your software.
There are really roughly three alternative cases:

1) you don't want anybody to make any money off your software and you are
willing to fight them if they try.

The right answer here is that you really don't want to share your software.
The right answer is to not pretend your software is open source.  Share the
source code with your customers if you have any, but make sure they know
that your code is not to be shared.

2) you don't want anybody to make any money off your software, but you
don't have the money or energy to fight about it.

The right answer here is that you have to match up your desires with your
abilities. If you tell people not to use your code, the honest ones won't.
Even the people with non-commercial uses probably won't because they don't
want the hassle. The dishonest people will still use your code and make
money and you won't fight them.

It would be better in this case to decide to be open (see option 3) or be
closed (see option 1). Don't pretend that you can really be in the middle.
If you want to pretend, use a creative commons license:
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/

3) you really want to share.

This situation is actually much more valuable to you than situation 2. The
reason is that even if somebody uses your code to make millions of dollars,
the fact that you shared openly means that they will probably say publicly
that they used your software. That means that you can take some credit for
their business success and make it much more likely that the next venture
you work on will be successful.

My feeling is that the best license here is the Apache license without any
changes.