www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Chris Mattmann <mattm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: legal opinion on collecting usage statistics
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2017 18:55:00 GMT
Hi Paul,

As I mentioned, in my capacity as VP Legal I am not in favor of doing this for many of the
reasons
that Ted and others have stated.

I’ll continue to let feedback accumulate for a bit. It would be best for this to be codified
in a JIRA
here on the Legal JIRA http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL

Cheers,

Chris

From: Paul Libbrecht <paul@hoplahup.net>
Date: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 2:40 PM
To: <legal-discuss@apache.org>
Subject: Re: legal opinion on collecting usage statistics

Erm…

Storing at the ASF is preferable since it is not being a party linked to all sorts of business
issues that relate to the everyday life of many people on this earth: We would not be sharing
this information, or a digest of it, with others. Google is.

While I rather trust Google’s security level, I do not believe that our normal data protection
method is weaker!

Paul