www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Chris Mattmann <mattm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Facebook BSD+patents license and Apache products
Date Sat, 15 Jul 2017 21:24:10 GMT

On 7/15/17, 2:20 PM, "Joan Touzet" <joant@lrtw.org> wrote:

    on behalf of the CouchDB PMC

    [1]: https://facebook.github.io/react/

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Chris Mattmann" <mattmann@apache.org>
    To: legal-discuss@apache.org
    Sent: Saturday, 15 July, 2017 12:56:30 PM
    Subject: Facebook BSD+patents license and Apache products

    Hi,

    As some of you may know, recently the Facebook BSD+patents license has been
    moved to Category X (https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#category-x).
    Please see LEGAL-303 [1] for a discussion of this. The license is also referred
    to as the ROCKSDB license, even though Facebook BSD+patents is its more
    industry standard name.

    This has impacted some projects, to date based on LEGAL-303
    and the detective work of Todd Lipcon:

    Samza, Flink, Marmotta, Kafka and Bahir

    (perhaps more)

    Please take notice of the following policy:

    o No new project, sub-project or codebase, which has not
      used Facebook BSD+patents licensed jars (or similar), are allowed to use
      them. In other words, if you haven't been using them, you
      aren't allowed to start. It is Cat-X.

    o If you have been using it, and have done so in a *release*,
      you have a temporary exclusion from the Cat-X classification thru
      August 31, 2017. At that point in time, ANY and ALL usage
      of these Facebook BSD+patents licensed artifacts are DISALLOWED. You must
      either find a suitably licensed replacement, or do without.
      There will be NO exceptions.

    o Any situation not covered by the above is an implicit
      DISALLOWAL of usage.

    Also please note that in the 2nd situation (where a temporary
    exclusion has been granted), you MUST ensure that NOTICE explicitly
    notifies the end-user that a Facebook BSD+patents licensed artifact exists. They
    may not be aware of it up to now, and that MUST be addressed.

    If there are any questions, please ask on the legal-discuss@a.o
    list.

    Thanks.

    Cheers,