www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <he...@yandell.org>
Subject Re: A few questions about creating a release
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2017 20:48:14 GMT
On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name>
wrote:

> Ran Ziv wrote on Tue, 20 Jun 2017 12:21 +0300:
> > I have a few quick questions about creating a release for a (Python)
> > incubator project:
> >

> > 1) According to these links: 1
> > <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#
> podling-constraints>
> >  2 <http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.
> html#Releases>
> > Incubating projects must have "Incubating" in the "final file name". I
> > might be missing something, but I assume the meaning is the final tarball
> > (source distribution) or wheel (binary distribution) file.
> > This is unconventional and not compatible with PyPI - and indeed it seems
> > like other Apache Incubator projects don't adhere to it (see Airflow
> > <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/apache-airflow>).
> > Am I missing something, or perhaps this is simply not relevant for Python
> > projects?
>
> I'm aware of no exception for python here.  AIUI the tarball filename,
> '--version' output, etc should include a "-incubating" caveat.  But
> then, these are incubator policies, not ASF-wide ones, so it'd be better
> to discuss them on the incubator lists than here.

That makes sense for standalone tarballs (be it the canonical source
tarball or a standalone binary install).

For the pip install, I would follow the practices with Maven. Folk do not
seem to be putting 'incubating' etc into Maven group names, so it shouldn't
appear in pip names, Java packages etc.

As a general principle - Users should not have to change their code when a
project graduates from the Incubator.

> > 2) [...] should we manually place these files inside the
> > wheel package - Or perhaps there's a different way to do this I have not
> > found?
>
> (I don't know)

Finding a way to keep the LICENSE file in each distribution however is
something you should be doing.

> > 3) Is the convention for a project X to be named on PyPI "apache-X"? Is
> > this mandatory? I haven't seen any explicit rules about this, but I might
> > have missed those.
>
> I'm not aware of specific policies for PyPI; there is
>     https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources
> and there are the generic release policy docs (the various /dev/*html
> pages that document the requirements for PGP signatures, etc)

On the Maven side, we started with apache-xyz as naming, then when Maven
added group namespaces we moved to org.apache and xyz. For PyPI, apache-xyz
makes sense to me as a mandatory standard (same for NPM, cocoapods etc). At
least, I can't think of reasons not to, other than to stop users having to
change their systems when code moves from outside-Apache to Apache, which
we generally do want them to have to make a change for.

Hen