www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Code generation resulting in GPL or even commercial licensing
Date Sun, 04 Jun 2017 04:29:27 GMT
Hi,

I am working on a code generator, which will ask a bunch of questions, and
then generate a project for the user that can be built further upon.

Each option the user has, will bring in dependencies, such as a persistence
store, out of a selection of many.

At the moment, we are restricting this generation to Apache License
compatible project outputs, but is there any policy or other restriction
that this couldn't generate a project that (if resdistributed) is under
GPL, or for that matter generate a project that requires the user to go get
a license (say Oracle SQL Server license) elsewhere?

IF this is OK, and we decide to move ahead with it, then I would also
generate a report detailing the licensing requirements of such project, or
that some piece of software needs to be purchased.

Polygene is a library to build applications with, not totally unlike Spring
Framework. And this code generation is an helper mechanism to get people up
and running quickly with their projects, and not required (it is even a new
feature, not yet released).

Thanks
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer