www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Absolving the IPMC of IP Clearances
Date Sun, 21 May 2017 21:13:49 GMT
On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 5:12 PM Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 2:06 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > All, Specifically the new VP Legal,
> >
> > The IPMC has struggled for a while being the gatekeepers for IP Clearance
> > for the entire foundation.  Several of us over the years have raised
> > concerns with this process.  It probably made sense when all new code
> went
> > through the incubator, but these days much new code goes directly to the
> > TLPs accepting them.
> >
> > I'd like to question this practice, and see if there's any additional
> > guidance on how to handle IP Clearances, is this really an IPMC
> > responsibility?
>
> Here's the way I think about it: a whole bunch of code coming into the
> community
> all at once has two implications:
>    1. licensing
>    2. community support
>
> Licensing is easy when that whole bunch of code was written on behalf of a
> given
> legal entity (lets say by employees of the corp X that also happen to
> be part of
> the community). In this case SGA from corp X is all that's required to
> license the
> code to ASF. TLPs should file it with secretary@ and not really
> involve IPMC much
> at all.
>
> Licensing gets complicated if that whole bunch of code was written by a
> group
> of committers without a clear IP provenance (such as an explicit ICLA). In
> this
> case it actually dovetails into #2 on my list -- so lets talk about that.
>
> #2 is when its not just code that will be joining a TLP, but a brand
> new sub-community.
> In those cases actual incubation may make sense. This is the only
> place where I could
> see IPMC getting involved for a good reason.
>
> Makes sense?

Agreed - except that I think #2 is a question that the receiving project
needs to decide - does this new project need to incubate or immediately
become part of our TLP.  Recent history indicates most of the time, its
straight to the TLP.  Obviously the IPMC is there to help if they choose to
incubate.