www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Non OSI approved licenses
Date Wed, 03 May 2017 12:54:25 GMT
For what it's worth, the *only* reason I initially considered ALv2 for my
own projects and recommended it to my employer for theirs, before I started
contributing to Apache software, was because it was approved by both OSI
and FSF. I doubt I'm not alone in that.

These groups are excellent proxies for what is "well-known" and "widely
accepted" (I'm not aware of a better source, anyway). If those qualities
matter at all to the ASF, then it makes sense to strongly prefer licenses
approved by these groups over legally-equivalent ones which are relatively
unknown. (Admittedly, I don't know what form this "preference" should take.)

I think any decision we make to restrict (or just "prefer") another group's
approved licenses is still our own decision. So, I don't think it makes
them them the "license arbiter for Apache" any more than the choice to
follow the Google Style Guide makes Google the style arbiter or the choice
to follow Semver 2.0.0 makes semver.org the API arbiter.