www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject (TM) and (R) in website articles
Date Thu, 04 May 2017 06:54:14 GMT
Hi,
I would like to get clarified the requirements of using (TM) and (R) in
text on website in general, since it seems that the most prominent website
says;

Do not use the ™ and ® symbols, or similar, in either article text or
citations, unless unavoidably necessary for context.

I have heard the contrary on this list, members@ and board@ over the last
few years, that third-party are required to use the marks. If the above
website is correct, then why are we fighting all the vendors for these
demarcations, and if the website is incorrect we have no choice than to
remove articles about our things from Wikipedia[1].

[1] Example given; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Hadoop

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer