www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Flavio P JUNQUEIRA <...@apache.org>
Subject Apache License question
Date Sat, 06 May 2017 21:02:37 GMT
Hi there,

This is not a question about an Apache project, but instead about a project
that we want to open source under the Apache license. The lawyers reviewing
the project code for some reason do not like the wording of the second
paragraph of the license header that the Apache license recommends projects
to use:

limitations under the License.

They claim that the wording isn’t legally sound. I don’t understand how
this is possible given that this text exists verbatim in paragraph 7 of the
license, but they seem to be uncomfortable with it given that paragraph 7
of the license does say more.

My question however is whether I can use only this text as the license
header:

Copyright [yyyy] [name of copyright owner]

Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
You may obtain a copy of the License at

without a problem or whether that would violate the license terms in any
way. As part of the question, assuming this change is acceptable, I’d need
to understand whether changing the Appendix of the license file is
acceptable, given that it is after the end of terms and conditions.

I have searched the mail archives, but couldn’t really find anything that
addresses this. Any feedback here would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Flavio