www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Absolving the IPMC of IP Clearances
Date Sun, 21 May 2017 21:11:58 GMT
On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 2:06 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
> All, Specifically the new VP Legal,
>
> The IPMC has struggled for a while being the gatekeepers for IP Clearance
> for the entire foundation.  Several of us over the years have raised
> concerns with this process.  It probably made sense when all new code went
> through the incubator, but these days much new code goes directly to the
> TLPs accepting them.
>
> I'd like to question this practice, and see if there's any additional
> guidance on how to handle IP Clearances, is this really an IPMC
> responsibility?

Here's the way I think about it: a whole bunch of code coming into the community
all at once has two implications:
   1. licensing
   2. community support

Licensing is easy when that whole bunch of code was written on behalf of a given
legal entity (lets say by employees of the corp X that also happen to
be part of
the community). In this case SGA from corp X is all that's required to
license the
code to ASF. TLPs should file it with secretary@ and not really
involve IPMC much
at all.

Licensing gets complicated if that whole bunch of code was written by a group
of committers without a clear IP provenance (such as an explicit ICLA). In this
case it actually dovetails into #2 on my list -- so lets talk about that.

#2 is when its not just code that will be joining a TLP, but a brand
new sub-community.
In those cases actual incubation may make sense. This is the only
place where I could
see IPMC getting involved for a good reason.

Makes sense?

Thanks,
Roman.