www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: (TM) and (R) in website articles
Date Thu, 04 May 2017 16:00:44 GMT
(Note: mixing private and public lists)

Niclas Hedhman wrote on 5/4/17 2:54 AM:
> Hi,
> I would like to get clarified the requirements of using (TM) and (R) in
> text on website in general, since it seems that the most prominent
> website says;
>

> Do not use the ™ and ® symbols, or similar, in either article text or
> citations, unless unavoidably necessary for context.

I presume that's a Wikipedia page you're citing?  Interesting, since
Wikimedia asks that everyone else provide trademark attributions and
follow their Visual Identity Guidelines when using *their* Wikimedia
Foundation trademarks anywhere outside of their site:

  https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Trademark_policy#trademark-how

> I have heard the contrary on this list, members@ and board@ over the
> last few years, that third-party are required to use the marks. If the
> above website is correct, then why are we fighting all the vendors for
> these demarcations, and if the website is incorrect we have no choice
> than to remove articles about our things from Wikipedia[1].

Our trademark policy is posted, so that's the first place to look:

  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/

Our request for attribution (in footers):

  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#attribution

Our naming style guide:

  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/guide

Specific questions about the policies or about specific trademark usages
(i.e. not generic or hypothetical uses) should go to trademarks@

> [1] Example given; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Hadoop
>

> Cheers
> --