www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Chris Mattmann <mattm...@apache.org>
Subject Fwd: JSON License and Apache Projects
Date Tue, 23 May 2017 17:11:38 GMT

From: Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com>
Date: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 9:04 AM
To: legal discuss <legal-discuss@apache.org>
Subject: Fwd: JSON License and Apache Projects

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Jagielski <jim@apache.org>
Subject: JSON License and Apache Projects
Date: November 23, 2016 at 9:10:39 AM EST
To: ASF Board <board@apache.org>

(forwarded from legal-discuss@)

As some of you may know, recently the JSON License has been
moved to Category X (https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#category-x).

I understand that this has impacted some projects, especially
those in the midst of doing a release. I also understand that
up until now, really, there has been no real "outcry" over our
usage of it, especially from end-users and other consumers of
our projects which use it.

As compelling as that is, the fact is that the JSON license
itself is not OSI approved and is therefore not, by definition,
an "Open Source license" and, as such, cannot be considered as
one which is acceptable as related to categories.

Therefore, w/ my VP Legal hat on, I am making the following
statements:

o No new project, sub-project or codebase, which has not
  used JSON licensed jars (or similar), are allowed to use
  them. In other words, if you haven't been using them, you
  aren't allowed to start. It is Cat-X.

o If you have been using it, and have done so in a *release*,
  AND there has been NO pushback from your community/eco-system,
  you have a temporary exclusion from the Cat-X classification thru
  April 30, 2017. At that point in time, ANY and ALL usage
  of these JSON licensed artifacts are DISALLOWED. You must
  either find a suitably licensed replacement, or do without.
  There will be NO exceptions.

o Any situation not covered by the above is an implicit
  DISALLOWAL of usage.

Also please note that in the 2nd situation (where a temporary
exclusion has been granted), you MUST ensure that NOTICE explicitly
notifies the end-user that a JSON licensed artifact exists. They
may not be aware of it up to now, and that MUST be addressed.

If there are any questions, please ask on the legal-discuss@a.o
list.

--
Jim Jagielski