www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DIstribution of OpenOffice ifilter DLLs.
Date Tue, 09 May 2017 22:33:19 GMT
On 08/05/17 11:11, Inaki Castillo wrote:
> Hi,
> Is it legal to distribute the OpenOffice Ifilter binary DLLs, without installing OpenOffice
itself?.
> We need these dlls to allow our application to support looking into OpenOffice native
documents.
> Any info about this subject is welcome.

This list can't provide legal advice. For a definitive opinion you will
need to seek advice from your own legal advisors.

The following is my personal opinion, not an official statement on
behalf of the ASF.

OpenOffice is distributed under the Apache License v2 and all the
components of OpenOffice are either under that license or a license with
similar terms.

The Apache License v2 does permit you to take any part of a distribution
and re-distribute it providing you follow the terms of the license.

In this case I recommend you review the LICENSE and NOTICE file for
OpenOffice, determine which LICENSE and which NOTICE (if any) applies to
those files and then ensure you follow the requirements of the LICENSE
and any NOTICE file when you redistribute them.

Mark