www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Is it OK to remove MIT header in this case?
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2017 20:47:46 GMT

On 4/26/17, 4:29 PM, "Alex Harui" <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:

>>Hence, if you want to extract a list of API names without keeping the
>>original
>>content that is subject to copyright, the right way to do that is to
>>extract
>>only the operable names and then reorder them alphabetically.
>
>OK, so if I remove all of the comment text and put all of these files into
>one file in alphabetical order and throw away the patch and related
>processing, will that be an original work, or still a derivative work?

Here is DisplayObject after I removed all comment text and alpha-ordered
properties and methods.  It would get merged with all of the other files.
Looking at it now, I probably should have manually generated these files
in the first place and skipped the whole patch idea.

https://paste.apache.org/0JSI

And here is the original source, in case anyone is interested:

https://github.com/CreateJS/EaselJS/blob/0.8.0/src/easeljs/display/DisplayO
bject.js

FWIW, I am trying to create an original work because I am only currently
authorized by Adobe to contribute to Apache, and not to other OSS
communities.

Thanks,
-Alex