www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Is it OK to remove MIT header in this case?
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2017 23:29:09 GMT

On 4/26/17, 11:15 AM, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

>> On Apr 25, 2017, at 8:24 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What we are creating is a file that contains a list of the APIs we do
>>not
>> want the Google Closure Compiler to rename.  It is not code per-se.  But
>> Google chose to have the list appear like JavaScript function
>>definitions
>> instead of a plain text file with strings in it.  Adobe Legal was asked
>>if
>> this list is considered a derivative work.  They said no, a list is not
>> derivative work.
>
>Right, that is the kind of answer that I would expect from Legal: they
>answered your specific question without actually looking at the file.

Hi Roy,

Adobe Legal was shown one of the end result files like this one [1].

[1] https://s.apache.org/h02O (which will map to:)

[1]
http://apacheflexbuild.cloudapp.net:8080/job/flex-typedefs/ws/createjs/targ
et/downloads/EaselJS-0.8.0/src/easeljs/display/DisplayObject.js

>Hence, if you want to extract a list of API names without keeping the
>original
>content that is subject to copyright, the right way to do that is to
>extract
>only the operable names and then reorder them alphabetically.

OK, so if I remove all of the comment text and put all of these files into
one file in alphabetical order and throw away the patch and related
processing, will that be an original work, or still a derivative work?

Thanks,
-Alex