www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Zeolla@GMail.com" <zeo...@gmail.com>
Subject Apache Metron (incubating) - licensing question
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2017 15:52:31 GMT
Hi all,

I recently asked a licensing question to our dev
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a4e2e7bb7fb7497033696645b011c5604790f23f3802aaab32f1bd01@%3Cdev.metron.apache.org%3E>
mailing
list
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c92acd125dae05f0537d4505e0254dfa6382ca9f40edba7d2f4c6224@%3Cdev.metron.apache.org%3E>
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201704.mbox/%3CCAM1mTCrq4nry%2BSSJ2qBZ_G%2B3-D6NCwriP0X46Di1Z2A02%3DiPNw%40mail.gmail.com%3E>.
I got some feedback and direction, but it was requested that this be sent
to legal-discuss for a more authoritative answer.  Please see below for a
bit of background and my questions.  Thanks!

*Background*We have a situation where a portion of code
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/tree/master/metron-sensors/bro-plugin-kafka>
 was created for Apache Metron (incubating) on February 8, 2016
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/commit/bc140a571a78c428e9ae5a3315c427724183782f>
which
is a plugin for a separate open source project, bro <https://www.bro.org/>.
The code was pushed out on February 15, 2016
<https://github.com/bro/bro-plugins/commit/b7f96f60b2c61b1583674b10b18f101bccd2249e>
by the initial author to the bro community under the 3-Clause BSD license
<https://github.com/bro/bro-plugins/blob/master/kafka/COPYING>, and
some important
enhancements
<https://github.com/bro/bro-plugins/commit/b9f1f35415cb0db065348da0a5043a8353b4a0a8>
 have been made to the plugin in that separate community, which we would
like to include in our code, while also merging with some recent changes
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/commit/a2452a25caffdd8c35fd9efe0ed49ce0dd2e3781>
 that have been made to the plugin, independently, in the Metron code base.

*Questions*1. Is it valid to assume that, as Casey mentioned
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7468692c96ed0cb012ac9014229694ba8edf3a3b3b55d346eec57019@%3Cdev.metron.apache.org%3E>,
these are two separate plugins and we can simply make modifications to our
code base to resolve the current multithreading issue?
2a. If we do 1, will this require a line in our LICENSE file as a
derivative work, or anything else?
2b. If we cannot do 1, what are our options?

Thanks,

Jon
--

Jon