www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Expanding release-policy#compiled-packages for artifact repositories
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2017 16:04:33 GMT
On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 6:23 AM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:

> Based on discussions that have come up in the past, would it be OK to add
> the following verbiage (or something like it) to [1].
>
> "Once the compiled package(s) have been created, projects may publish these
> packages to appropriate artifact repositories.  Apache provides direct
> access to publish artifacts via Maven Central.  Projects may publish
> released build artifacts directly to npm, pypi, rubygems, etc.  PMCs may
> also request access, via infra[link to
> https://www.apache.org/dev/infra-contact], to our Bintray Organization for
> additional hosting options."
>
> [1]: http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#compiled-packages

All these things are already allowed.  It is not necessary to modify the
policy itself to allow them.

It is also undesirable to expand the canonical policy text -- we have a huge
problem with bloated, unfocused, redundant, stale overdocumentation at the
ASF.  The canonical policy is designed to be compact, so that our contributors
can grok the totality of what is officially required with as little effort as
possible; expanding the policy text undermines that purpose.

I suggest instead approaching this as a proposal to add to the Release FAQ.
With that in mind...

I don't understand what problem you're trying to solve with this addition.
Can you provide links to some conversations where confusion is occurring?

The proposed text also has problems with both correctness and emphasis.

    Once the compiled package(s) have been created [...]

A compiled package cannot be published for end users on *creation*; the
official source release has to be approved and published first.  Furthermore,
publication through downstream distribution is not just for compiled packages.
It could be the official source release package.  Or it could be a reorganized
source package whose file structure has been modified to meet the requirements
of a given distribution channel.

Or it could be just about anything.  There are an unbounded number of
downstream distribution channels -- addressing them all is madness.

Marvin Humphrey