www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Martin Desruisseaux <martin.desruisse...@geomatys.com>
Subject Re: Non OSI approved licenses
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2017 16:40:59 GMT
I have missed the context, but if it was LEGAL-304 for BSD3 with the
nuclear clause, this demand seems to be introduced by TIKA-2338 [1] for
using jai-imageio-core. Given that this package is not maintained
anymore for more than 7 years (this was a library written by Sun
Microsystems before its acquisition by Oracle) and has bugs that remain
unfixed, rather than compromising ASF reputation on licensing for
accommodating this particular library, I can volunteer for checking with
TIKA-2338 submitter if we can find an alternative.

If we have no replacement for TIKA-2338 (or other) needs, what about the
same approach than LEGAL-183 [2]?

  * Put the dependency in an optional module.
  * Create a "non-free" repository by-side of project trunk (SVN) or
    master (GIT) which contains all modules having such non OSI-approved
    dependency.
  * Project releases on http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/... do not
    contains the "non-free" modules.
  * However Maven Central repository contains contains those modules,
    but under a "non-free" group ID for making clear the licensing
    issue. Dependency looks like:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.XXX.non-free</groupId>
      <artifactId>YYY</artifactId>
      <version>1.0</version>
    </dependency>

Martin