www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Creative Commons again
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2017 17:10:18 GMT
On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 1:50 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 January 2017 at 05:12, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
> > DRAFT of notice to PMCs. Any concerns/improvements?
> >
> > ====
> >
> > To: <PMCs list>
> > Cc: legal-discuss@
> > Subject: Creative Commons Attribution + Share Alike clarification
> >
> > Hola Apache PMCs,
> >
> > Last year there was a discussion on how to handle Creative Commons
> > Attribution (CC-BY) licensing on the legal-discuss list[1]. This is a
> > license designed for 'media files', by which I mean things like pictures,
> > audio, and video. It is not (per Creative Commons themselves[2])
> recommended
> > to be used for software. At its heart it is a permissive license, but its
> > focus on non-software means it has conditions that go beyond the Apache
> > license (chiefly the term in 2.5 of 'You may not distribute, publicly
> > display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work with
> any
> > technological measures that control access', and the similar text in the
> > later licenses).
> >
> > Given that, we want to make sure our users can easily switch out CC-BY
> > licensing if a concern, and so we have moved it to the same status as the
> > Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike license. Namely:
>
> Does not read well:
> "...  switch out CC-BY licensing if a concern"
> does that mean:
> "...  switch out CC-BY licensed items if the license is a concern"

Will fix with:

"replace CC-BY licensed works when the CC license is a concern,"

> > "Unmodified media (for example images, audio or video) under the Creative
> > Commons Attribution (CC BY: 2.5, 3.0, or 4.0) or the Creative Commons
> > Attribution ShareAlike (CC BY-SA 2.5, 3.0, or 4.0) licenses may be
> included
> > in Apache products, subject to the licenses attribution clauses which may
> > require LICENSE/NOTICE/README changes. For any other type of CC BY or CC
> > BY-SA licensed work, please contact the Legal PMC."
>
> I take that to mean unmodified CC-BY may be bundled with ASF products.

No, only unmodified CC-BY media. The current FAQ item starts with
"Unmodified media"; I enlarged the FAQ to cover CC-BY as well as CC-BY-SA.

> > The upshot of this is that CC-BY software should not be included with
> Apache
> > projects, and that CC-BY media should not be modified.
>
> This contradicts that; I'm confused!

Does the above help? Anything in the FAQ that should be clarified?

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for taking so long to respond,

Hen