www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Writing spec code for the OSGi Alliance within the ASF
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2017 14:46:23 GMT
Guillaume Nodet wrote

> <mailto:cziegeler@apache.org>>:
>
>     Guillaume Nodet wrote
>     > Ok, there are two more specific questions:
>     >
>     > #1 Can a committer write *new* code at the ASF with a header file
>     > mentioning the code is copyrighted to the OSGi Alliance  ?
>
>     Just to set the facts straight here: no one is writing code at the ASF
>     with a header file containing the copyright of the OSGi Alliance.
>     So I think this question is not relevant and the title of this thread is
>     really misleading.
>

> Well, that's precisely what I'd like to make sure.
> For example, see this latest commit:
>
> https://github.com/apache/felix/commit/2d6f7011a7060f4397bb551d18d9f616ca532f38
> It modifies the org.osgi.util.converter package, where the files have
> a "Copyright (c) OSGi Alliance (2016). All Rights Reserved." in their
> headers.
> If the code is not developped within the ASF, there must be a different
> source somehwere else.  Where does this change come from ?

Yes, the source of that code is the OSGi Alliance. That's where David
developed the changes and once done copied them over to our repo. But
this code has not been developed at the ASF. The svn commit does not
show you that this is a copy as it always just does a diff.

And this happens with every API development from the OSGI Alliance: it's
developed in the repository of the Alliance and not anywhere else.

Regards

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler