www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de.INVALID>
Subject Re: Inclusion of .class files within a Apache Source Release
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2017 17:51:04 GMT
Again, it's not used as an executable and it will not end up in any jar!
It's just a class file which gets used inside a TEST to check ByteCode parsing.
It's really like a png or gif we use in some test. And the license is of course ALv2.
Seen this quite a few times in ASF projects...
Yes, we will rework this but it's imo no release blocker ^^

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 03.01.2017 um 18:42 schrieb Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com>:
>
> Hi Romain,
>
> AIUI, it isn't a "no binary" policy, it is a "no compiled sources" policy.  Distributing
a compiled binary puts the responsibility of the effects of executing that code on the ASF
and should scare away customers.  You are taking a big chance by running the source build
script if it executes that .class file if you can't verify it came from the source you said
it did.    Sure a customer might have a bad tool chain that compiles the sources into a bad
binary, but that is not the ASF's responsibility.

> -Alex
>
> From: Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibucau@gmail.com>
> Date: Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 9:17 AM
> To: "legal-discuss@apache.org" <legal-discuss@apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Inclusion of .class files within a Apache Source Release
>
> Please don't diverge: too much
>
> - can we do better: probably, even if "process-test-resources life-cycle goal seems read-made
for this" doesn't really help since it requires a build setup we likely don't want to ensure
we have these classes only for some part of some tests and not the whole test phase. it also
breaks IDE support to do it this way and reduce contributions capabilities but that's another
topic....
> - is it legal: yes (otherwise as mentionned all projects with binary resources would
be illegal)
> - is it unsecured? likely as much as generating bytecode at runtime so probably out of
topic for here too. Also note that a picture (.png for instance) can be a .class and be loaded
by a JVM is correctly launched so security  there is not really a point IMHO.

> In summary I don't see why it makes so much noise for really an implementation detail
and I'm not seeing what is the alternative proposal to not distribute ANY binary if we care
about it? Do I miss an important point?