www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Creative Commons again
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2017 21:38:39 GMT
True... the point, at least for me, is the clear distinction
between CC as used by/for media and by/for s/w.
> On Jan 13, 2017, at 1:06 AM, Luis Villa <luis@lu.is> wrote:
>
> Reminder that it is still a license for things that will be baked into software on embedded
systems, which means the DRM clause is still an obligation/prohibition that goes significantly
beyond Apache 2.0, even if not copyleft. So I'm not sure differentiation from SW license concerns
is completely possible.

> Luis
>
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2017, 7:09 AM Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
> I'd say let's see how it goes... as you say, CC isn't really a s/w
> license and anything we can do to further differentiate that from
> our concern about s/w licenses related to our projects would be good.
>
> > On Jan 12, 2017, at 12:33 AM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > We had a lengthy thread last year regarding Creative Commons Attribution licenses.
The upshot was that we moved it from Category A to Category B.

> > I'm not looking to open the discussion of moving it away from Category A, but I'd
like to reopen the decision of where to move it to. Category B is designed for 'weakly' copyleft
licenses and CC-BY is both not weak copyleft, nor were our concerns related to copyleft.

> > Rather than moving it to Category B, I'd like to move it to the section entitled
'Can Apache projects include Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike works?'.

> > The upshot is that this will move software under the CC-BY licenses to a 'talk to
legal-discuss@' from its current 'use in binary form'. Media (which we should define better;
'for example audio, video and images') would remain allowed for both CC-BY and CC-BY-SA.