www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject Inclusion of .class files within a Apache Source Release
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2017 11:45:19 GMT
Hi,

While looking at [1] and looking at a proposed Apache OpenWebBeans [2] it
was discovered that .class files were contained in the source release.  It
seems in the past that image files were generally considered OK in source
releases, since they typically had to do with building websites, the
traceability of the image was easy to discover.

.class files are the compiled output from .java source files (as well as
.groovy and other JVM languages, depending on how you compile).  Since they
are compiled output, it seems they shouldn't be in a source release.
However, the only true policy I could find that it violated was that we
require appropriate licensing [3] and there is no way to verify the
licensing of these files.

So I'm wondering 1. is that accurate? and 2. is there an acceptable way to
verify that the license is correct?

[1]: http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what-must-every-release-contain
[2]:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/869c739764d5d55d81199576d730d485d66df8be17ae16398dd7ca1f@%3Cdev.openwebbeans.apache.org%3E