www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release Policy links
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2017 02:55:39 GMT
On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 9:40 PM Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 6:10 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On http://www.apache.org/dev/#releases we have links to something called
> > "Release Policy."  HoweverI was pointed to
> > http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html as being the true policy
> > document.
>
> It's time to clean out the old page at www.apache.org/dev/release --
> that work was left incomplete:

> Per Infra's recommendation a JavaScript redirect seems sensible.  To
> remove the possibility of confusion, the old page should be just
> emptied out.

I'd actually go one step further.  Leave the old page, removing all
contents, and just have a single link to the new page.  While the hashes
still work, it encourages people to update.

> To recap: during the codification effort, the content at the old page
> was copied verbatim to and downgraded (so to speak) to become the FAQ
> at the new page. All the anchor links were preserved.

Yep, I see that now.  I now also see if I dug into the legal pages I would
have seen the duplicate pages.

> I see that there have been two updates to the old page since it was
> superseded.  I'll look into whether those updates should be applied to
> the new page.

I just took a look.  Sebb's change is pretty simple.  I don't think Shane's
change should be applied.  Worst case we can ask him to fix it.

> > 1. Can we replace the links on /dev for release policy for equivalent
> links
> > on /legal ? Are all pages covered?
>
> Yes.  The official policy is definitely at
> http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy#policy .

No sorry.  I meant are the two pages I mentioned copied into legal.  The
answer is no.  So my next question is should they be moved?

> > 2. The legal page I linked to has two bad links to
> > http://www.apache.org/legal/release-publishing and
> > http://www.apache.org/legal/mirrors which both go to 404's.  What are
> the
> > correct links?
>
> s/legal/dev/
>
> * http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing
> * http://www.apache.org/dev/mirrors
>
> The Release FAQ badly needs updating: it's way too long and contains a
> bunch of outdated and duplicated info.  By the time we finished
> codifying the official policy (the top part of the new page) I was
> burnt. Time to launch myself back at it...

Agreed.  Can we just create a separate release-faq and be done with it?
How frequently are these questions asked?

Assuming no one -1's in the next day I'll update the links.