www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Writing spec code for the OSGi Alliance within the ASF
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2017 15:06:50 GMT
On 20 January 2017 at 14:46, Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org> wrote:
> Guillaume Nodet wrote

>> <mailto:cziegeler@apache.org>>:
>>
>>     Guillaume Nodet wrote
>>     > Ok, there are two more specific questions:
>>     >
>>     > #1 Can a committer write *new* code at the ASF with a header file
>>     > mentioning the code is copyrighted to the OSGi Alliance  ?
>>
>>     Just to set the facts straight here: no one is writing code at the ASF
>>     with a header file containing the copyright of the OSGi Alliance.
>>     So I think this question is not relevant and the title of this thread is
>>     really misleading.
>>

>> Well, that's precisely what I'd like to make sure.
>> For example, see this latest commit:
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/felix/commit/2d6f7011a7060f4397bb551d18d9f616ca532f38
>> It modifies the org.osgi.util.converter package, where the files have
>> a "Copyright (c) OSGi Alliance (2016). All Rights Reserved." in their
>> headers.
>> If the code is not developped within the ASF, there must be a different
>> source somehwere else.  Where does this change come from ?
>>
> Yes, the source of that code is the OSGi Alliance. That's where David
> developed the changes and once done copied them over to our repo. But
> this code has not been developed at the ASF. The svn commit does not
> show you that this is a copy as it always just does a diff.
>
> And this happens with every API development from the OSGI Alliance: it's
> developed in the repository of the Alliance and not anywhere else.

May I suggest that when a new copy of the source is pulled from the
OSGI, that this is done in a separate commit, with comment to the
effect that the file(s) have been copied from OSGI?

This would make the provenance obvious to anyone reading the logs later.
If there is a tag or similar for the OSGI source, that could be
included as well.

Otherwise if there is a question about the source later, it could take
quite a while to establish what happened.