www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Writing spec code for the OSGi Alliance within the ASF
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2017 17:42:14 GMT
It's OK for any Apache comitter on the project to edit the file with AL2
with different (c), but then they would have to follow clause about making
it clear modifications have made - e.g. appending the file header.

For a standard-based API this would obviously be bad practice, but that is
not a legal question.

Updating a file from upstream would be a different matter, and should
definitely be done with a separate commit and  appropriate references in
commit messages so the PMC can verify IP.

Thus concurrent development of an external standard and an ASF
implementation should be done separately (even if concurrently) so that the
intellectual property rights are clear.

As how your ASF community would engage with OSGi is for your PMC to decide,
I would guess those with two hats should do their best to work as proxies.