www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Joe Witt <joe.w...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Non-DoD Source] Suggested license mod or FAQ
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2017 19:01:15 GMT
Cem,

Please note that NiFi, similar to Accumulo was open sourced by the
NSA.  The proposal for NiFi spells out what the lawyers/tech transfer
office provided regarding this matter and I believe it is consistent
with Accumulo as well.

It reads

"== Source and Intellectual Property Submission ==
Previously referred to as Niagarafiles, the NiFi code and
documentation materials will be submitted by the National Security
Agency. NiFi has been developed by a mix of government employees and
private companies under government contract. Material developed by the
government employees is in the public domain and no U.S. copyright
exists in works of the federal government. For the contractor
developed material in the initial submission, the U.S. Government has
sufficient authority to open source per DFARS 252.227-7014. NSA has
submitted the Software Grant Agreement and Corporate Contributor
License Agreement to the Apache Software Foundation."

Thanks
Joe