www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Creative Commons again
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2017 05:33:16 GMT
We had a lengthy thread last year regarding Creative Commons Attribution
licenses. The upshot was that we moved it from Category A to Category B.

I'm not looking to open the discussion of moving it away from Category A,
but I'd like to reopen the decision of where to move it to. Category B is
designed for 'weakly' copyleft licenses and CC-BY is both not weak
copyleft, nor were our concerns related to copyleft.

Rather than moving it to Category B, I'd like to move it to the section
entitled 'Can Apache projects include Creative Commons Attribution-Share
Alike works?'.

The upshot is that this will move software under the CC-BY licenses to a
'talk to legal-discuss@' from its current 'use in binary form'. Media
(which we should define better; 'for example audio, video and images')
would remain allowed for both CC-BY and CC-BY-SA.

That maps well to CC's recommendation not to use CC licenses for software:
https://creativecommons.org/faq/#can-i-apply-a-creative-commons-license-to-software

Any thoughts or obvious problems this would cause?

Hen