www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Creative Commons again
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2017 05:12:48 GMT
DRAFT of notice to PMCs. Any concerns/improvements?

====

To: <PMCs list>
Cc: legal-discuss@
Subject: Creative Commons Attribution + Share Alike clarification

Hola Apache PMCs,

Last year there was a discussion on how to handle Creative Commons
Attribution (CC-BY) licensing on the legal-discuss list[1]. This is a
license designed for 'media files', by which I mean things like pictures,
audio, and video. It is not (per Creative Commons themselves[2])
recommended to be used for software. At its heart it is a permissive
license, but its focus on non-software means it has conditions that go
beyond the Apache license (chiefly the term in 2.5 of 'You may not
distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally
perform the Work with any technological measures that control access', and
the similar text in the later licenses).

Given that, we want to make sure our users can easily switch out CC-BY
licensing if a concern, and so we have moved it to the same status as the
Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike license. Namely:

"Unmodified media (for example images, audio or video) under the Creative
Commons Attribution (CC BY: 2.5, 3.0, or 4.0) or the Creative Commons
Attribution ShareAlike (CC BY-SA 2.5, 3.0, or 4.0) licenses may be included
in Apache products, subject to the licenses attribution clauses which may
require LICENSE/NOTICE/README changes. For any other type of CC BY or CC
BY-SA licensed work, please contact the Legal PMC."

The upshot of this is that CC-BY software should not be included with
Apache projects, and that CC-BY media should not be modified.

Note that the Creative Commons Universal (CC0) license remains on the
Category A list and may be used with Apache works, while the Creative
Commons Non-Commercial license remains on the Category X list, and should
not be used.

Please follow up with legal-discuss@ if you have any questions, or concerns
about removing the CC-BY software in your next release.

=====

?