www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Non-DoD Source] Suggested license mod or FAQ
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2017 23:37:45 GMT
Cem,

I have spoken with our general counsel here at MapR. He is *very* well
versed in copyright (he did all the key licenses at Sun, for instance). His
interpretation matches mine and others that public domain material can be
contributed precisely because there is no copyright, that derived works
formed by changes to public domain elements can be contributed because the
derived work does have a copyright to be licensed and anything that has a
license that allows contribution can be contributed.

He is willing to have a short conversation with one or more of your
attorneys on the topic if you like. If you do want to make that happen,
please contact me off-line. My Apache email works well for that (tdunning
at apache and so on).