www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Writing spec code for the OSGi Alliance within the ASF
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2017 19:13:33 GMT
Just a quick note about how things actually work.

There is no code ever that is developed AT Apache (aside, perhaps from
infra stuff).

There is code developed somewhere in the world and given/licensed TO Apache
that then lives in Apache source code control systems.

If I write some code and give it to an Apache project under the correct
procedures, I still own the code and all rights. I granted Apache a
non-exclusive license. I can license that code to somebody else on
different terms. I could contribute it to a GPL based project. I would sell
it for big money as proprietary code. It is mine, not Apache's. I can't
give anybody an exclusive license without recognizing the fact that I
already gave Apache a non-exclusive license, but that life.

If I develop code and license it to somebody else first on non-exclusive
terms, I can contribute it to Apache as well and pretty much ignore the
first licensing.

If I develop code and license it to a standards body under the Apache
license, then I can either take the code from the standards body and follow
the normal license, NOTICE and header procedures or I can contribute it
anew.

Presumably, it would be nice to take it from the standards body so that the
relationship is clear.

But this is no different than including any acceptable open source code.