www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Luis Villa <l...@lu.is>
Subject Re: Creative Commons again
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2017 06:06:32 GMT
Reminder that it is still a license for things that will be baked into
software on embedded systems, which means the DRM clause is still an
obligation/prohibition that goes significantly beyond Apache 2.0, even if
not copyleft. So I'm not sure differentiation from SW license concerns is
completely possible.

Luis

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017, 7:09 AM Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:

I'd say let's see how it goes... as you say, CC isn't really a s/w
license and anything we can do to further differentiate that from
our concern about s/w licenses related to our projects would be good.

> On Jan 12, 2017, at 12:33 AM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
>
> We had a lengthy thread last year regarding Creative Commons Attribution
licenses. The upshot was that we moved it from Category A to Category B.

> I'm not looking to open the discussion of moving it away from Category A,
but I'd like to reopen the decision of where to move it to. Category B is
designed for 'weakly' copyleft licenses and CC-BY is both not weak
copyleft, nor were our concerns related to copyleft.

> Rather than moving it to Category B, I'd like to move it to the section
entitled 'Can Apache projects include Creative Commons Attribution-Share
Alike works?'.

> The upshot is that this will move software under the CC-BY licenses to a
'talk to legal-discuss@' from its current 'use in binary form'. Media
(which we should define better; 'for example audio, video and images')
would remain allowed for both CC-BY and CC-BY-SA.

> That maps well to CC's recommendation not to use CC licenses for
software:
https://creativecommons.org/faq/#can-i-apply-a-creative-commons-license-to-software