www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Release Policy links
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2017 02:39:31 GMT
On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 6:10 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On http://www.apache.org/dev/#releases we have links to something called
> "Release Policy."  HoweverI was pointed to
> http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html as being the true policy
> document.

It's time to clean out the old page at www.apache.org/dev/release --
that work was left incomplete:

Per Infra's recommendation a JavaScript redirect seems sensible.  To
remove the possibility of confusion, the old page should be just
emptied out.

To recap: during the codification effort, the content at the old page
was copied verbatim to and downgraded (so to speak) to become the FAQ
at the new page. All the anchor links were preserved.

I see that there have been two updates to the old page since it was
superseded.  I'll look into whether those updates should be applied to
the new page.

> 1. Can we replace the links on /dev for release policy for equivalent links
> on /legal ? Are all pages covered?

Yes.  The official policy is definitely at
http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy#policy .

> 2. The legal page I linked to has two bad links to
> http://www.apache.org/legal/release-publishing and
> http://www.apache.org/legal/mirrors which both go to 404's.  What are the
> correct links?

s/legal/dev/

* http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing
* http://www.apache.org/dev/mirrors

The Release FAQ badly needs updating: it's way too long and contains a
bunch of outdated and duplicated info.  By the time we finished
codifying the official policy (the top part of the new page) I was
burnt. Time to launch myself back at it...

Marvin Humphrey