www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Writing spec code for the OSGi Alliance within the ASF
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2017 16:12:17 GMT
Uh, I suppose you have a branch / commit number to back your facts ? I
haven't seen any related commit in the OSGi alliance repository myself.
Anyway, I won't try to go back in time...

So yes, that's definitely the case for published specs where it's easy to
identify where the code is coming from, but not so much for RFCs.

At least, I now understand how the process is supposed to work.

So at least that gives us an actionable item to work on in Felix and Aries:
i.e. all commits related to modifying OSGi apis need to be separated and
indicate the source of the code.
Does the source have to be public so that all PMC members have the ability
to do their duty and check ?

Guillaume Nodet wrote

> <mailto:cziegeler@apache.org>>:

>     Guillaume Nodet wrote

>     > Ok, there are two more specific questions:

>     >

>     > #1 Can a committer write *new* code at the ASF with a header file

>     > mentioning the code is copyrighted to the OSGi Alliance  ?

>     Just to set the facts straight here: no one is writing code at the ASF

>     with a header file containing the copyright of the OSGi Alliance.

>     So I think this question is not relevant and the title of this thread
is

https://github.com/apache/felix/commit/2d6f7011a7060f4397bb551d18d9f616ca532f38

> It modifies the org.osgi.util.converter package, where the files have

> a "Copyright (c) OSGi Alliance (2016). All Rights Reserved." in their

> headers.

> If the code is not developped within the ASF, there must be a different

> source somehwere else.  Where does this change come from ?

Yes, the source of that code is the OSGi Alliance. That's where David

developed the changes and once done copied them over to our repo. But

this code has not been developed at the ASF. The svn commit does not

show you that this is a copy as it always just does a diff.

And this happens with every API development from the OSGI Alliance: it's

developed in the repository of the Alliance and not anywhere else.

Regards

Carsten

--

Carsten Ziegeler