www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)" <cem.f.karan....@mail.mil>
Subject RE: [Non-DoD Source] Suggested license mod or FAQ
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2017 15:35:48 GMT

Our lawyers are well aware of the difference.  The problem *IS* the work that
civil servants produce in the course of their work.  See next comment below.

> Regardless, it isn't possible for one of your contributions to cause us
> headaches when it is entirely in the public domain.  By definition, that
> means nobody has the standing in which to cause such a headache, nobody can
> successfully file suit (at least under copyright), and thus no
> court case can proceed.
>
> The danger for headaches comes from other people who might claim (truly or
> not) to own the copyright in spite of the work's origin.
> There's not much we can do in the license about that.

And this is the crux of the problem.  What happens when a work that is in the
public domain is licensed under ASL?  Since the ASL relies on copyright, a
reasonable person might think that the work itself has copyright.  What
happens when someone finds out that it doesn't?  Can a smart lawyer
successfully argue that since the clauses that rely on copyright are invalid
for works that are in the public domain then the entire license is invalid for
that work[1]?  I'm thinking in particular about clauses 7&8
(https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0), but to some degree the patent
clause as well.

> There are no plans to make any further changes to the Apache License.
> As mentioned previously, a person concerned about the applicability of the
> license to a public domain work can simply add that "the
> license's copyright terms only apply to the extent that copyright is
> actually owned or licensable by the Contributors".  That statement can
> be placed anywhere you like outside the license itself.

So in addition to the ASL, there will be a separate notice containing the
above, and possibly a notice beyond that regarding warranty, liability, and
patent issues... it sounds like public domain code will have to live under the
equivalent of dual licensing, where the ASL would apply to material that had
copyright, and some separate-but-essentially-identical notice for the public
domain code to cover the non-copyright issues that the ASL already covers,
correct?  Is it possible to write such a notice/license that is interoperable
with the ASL?

> The reason that isn't said in the license is because the copyright terms
> merely provide a permission that isn't needed without copyright.
> It is completely irrelevant whether they apply to any given piece of work in
> the public domain.
>
> ....Roy

I see your point.  Do you understand mine?

Thanks,
Cem Karan

[1] I am *not* saying that the license is invalid for works with copyright!  I
am only considering the case where a work doesn't have copyright.