www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)" <cem.f.karan....@mail.mil>
Subject RE: [Non-DoD Source] Suggested license mod or FAQ
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2017 13:34:09 GMT

As one of those confused US Government employees, I would *definitely* like to
see some clarity here!  One of my major concerns is severability
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severability).  Assume that the US Government
(USG) licenses some work under the ASL 2.0.  ASL 2.0 depends on copyright,
which most USG works don't have within the USA.  Could a US court find that
the license *as a whole* is void on the USG works because of this?  That could
open up a real can of worms, not just the USG, but for anyone that has
downloaded the code for their own use.

Thanks,
Cem Karan