www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Creative Commons again
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2017 15:02:12 GMT
I'd say let's see how it goes... as you say, CC isn't really a s/w
license and anything we can do to further differentiate that from
our concern about s/w licenses related to our projects would be good.

> On Jan 12, 2017, at 12:33 AM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
>
> We had a lengthy thread last year regarding Creative Commons Attribution licenses. The
upshot was that we moved it from Category A to Category B.

> I'm not looking to open the discussion of moving it away from Category A, but I'd like
to reopen the decision of where to move it to. Category B is designed for 'weakly' copyleft
licenses and CC-BY is both not weak copyleft, nor were our concerns related to copyleft.

> Rather than moving it to Category B, I'd like to move it to the section entitled 'Can
Apache projects include Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike works?'.

> The upshot is that this will move software under the CC-BY licenses to a 'talk to legal-discuss@'
from its current 'use in binary form'. Media (which we should define better; 'for example
audio, video and images') would remain allowed for both CC-BY and CC-BY-SA.