www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de.INVALID>
Subject Re: Inclusion of .class files within a Apache Source Release
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2017 11:51:09 GMT
The class file in question was added by ASF member rmannibucau under ALv2 as a >>resource<<
and not as a source file.
The original file of course has the ASF license header, but the 'class' resource is still
checked in to our SVN as .class file.

This is for testing some bytecode stuff in OpenBebBeans. We could probably later change this
to have another project module, compile it, unpack it, copy it over, blablabla.
But that doesn't change anything about the fact that this file is ALv2 licensed. But since
it's a binary it obviously does not have any ALv2 >>SOURCE<< header.

In other words: this .class file is a test resource and handled exactly the same like a png
or jpeg file.

I don't see any legal problem.

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 03.01.2017 um 12:45 schrieb John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org>:
>
> Hi,
>
> While looking at [1] and looking at a proposed Apache OpenWebBeans [2] it was discovered
that .class files were contained in the source release.  It seems in the past that image files
were generally considered OK in source releases, since they typically had to do with building
websites, the traceability of the image was easy to discover.

> .class files are the compiled output from .java source files (as well as .groovy and
other JVM languages, depending on how you compile).  Since they are compiled output, it seems
they shouldn't be in a source release.  However, the only true policy I could find that it
violated was that we require appropriate licensing [3] and there is no way to verify the licensing
of these files.