www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Apache <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: LEGAL-280 - Cat-X and Optional Modules
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2016 14:00:54 GMT
This is answered on the legal FAQ.  The one point you are missing is: will the majority of
your users want to use the optional dependency? If they do then it may not really be all that
optional.

Ralph

> On Nov 29, 2016, at 12:51 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I raised this legal ticket https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-280 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-280>
due to the outcome of a recent discussion around the Amazon Software LIcense, which was deemed
OK for optional dependencies specifically designed for use within AWS.

> I'd like to know if this can be expanded to handle any Cat-X dependency or if its something
special about the ASL's field of use restriction that allows it? for instance, if I have source
code fully apache licensed that compiles against a dynamically linked LGPL library, can that
source code be distributed, and can I produce binaries that are non-inclusive of those LGPL
libraries as long as: