www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Is GitHub forking subject to clause 4b?
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2016 01:20:12 GMT
> On Dec 29, 2016, at 12:03 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
>
> Btw, this is not a rethorical question. If the consensus on what I pointed
> out is an overwhelming "yes -- it is a distribution" then we're in a real
> trouble.

It is pointless to talk about licensing in general terms and then bring
up the notion of "trouble".  Licensing is not a program that halts and
catches fire when it runs into obscure cases.  What matters is following
the intent of a license (where it cannot reasonably be adhered to literally).
Only a copyright owner with standing can bring trouble and they are
unlikely to do so unless their original intent has been violated.

....Roy