www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Question about the "prominent notice" about me changing the file
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2016 02:06:25 GMT
I am not a lawyer and even though a lawyer told me the following, it is
not legal advice:

  Headers don't change the licensing or copyright
  of the source code, they are only convenience
  sign posts as to the licensing or copyright.

If I understand the question, it is about the minimum attribution that
Apache requires in derivative works.  IMO, that question can be thought of
in two ways:

1) What would be too minimal that the ASF would get upset and ask you to
do more.
2) What would be too minimal that customers may not use your software
because they aren't sure it is derived from Apache software?

IMO, you should have the ASF header in every file, and the NOTICE that
came with the original ASF source.  Then it would never be considered too
minimal and customers would see what they expect.  The ASF header can be
before or after your copyright/license.  I can't image the ASF getting
upset about that or customers getting confused by that.

Also, IMO, you cannot change the licensing and copyright of the lines of
code that you don't touch, but you can use a different license on the
lines you do touch.  Hence, except for substantial rewrites you'll have
lots of ASF code in your source.

In this world of GitHub where it is easy for folks to grab single files, I
like the idea of headers in each file.  I cannot offer any opinion on
whether the ASF would get on your case if you don't do that.

My 2 cents,
-Alex